This is one of the best ways to grill a steak – comes out medium-rare with an amazing crispy crust. You can do this on just about any grill, charcoal or propane. I enjoy it with steak fries and a grilled salad. Try it and tell me if this isn’t the best way to grill a thick steak, like a rib-eye, tenderloin, or NY Strip.
Serves: 3 to 4
Food Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 20-40 minutes depending on the thickness of the steak
● 2 lbs steak at least 1 ½ to 2 inches thick. I love Ribeye but NY Strip is also a good choice.
● 4 oz MotG Beef Rub or SPG seasoning or your own favorite.
PRO TIP: Always use a meat thermometer. Steak is too pricey for our best guess! Maverick makes a great portable, quick read thermometer perfect for the job.
● Prepare your grill for Indirect Heat (like in the video).
● Generously sprinkle my SPG or Beef Rub on both sides.
● Place on the indirect side of the grill.
Stick the probe of the thermometer into the thickest part of the steak, but not near the bone or in the fat.
Grill indirectly until the thermometer is 110oF / 42oC.
Depending on the cut of meat, this will take 20 minutes (+/- 5 minutes).
PRO TIP: If you’re using charcoal, make sure you have used enough for the job, then you don’t have to reload. (A chimney lighter full is normally just right.)
● Place the meat on the direct heat side.
Give the meat a good sear on each side, about 2-4 minutes.
● Let the steak rest before cutting into it to keep it real juicy. 10 minutes is good.
➡ About M.O.T.G
One of the most recognizable Grilling and Kitchen TV Pitchmen in the World, Marc Gill is going unplugged and at home, doing what he loves most Barbecuing, Smoking, Grilling, Braising, Su Vide, I mean cooking and feeding family and friends.
His hectic schedule has him reviewing, testing and scripting presentations for products which are sent to him from all over the Globe. These products are intended to be used in an Infomercial, a Commercial or featured on Live Shopping TV.
➡ Follow Marc
➡ Contact Marc
Interested in having your product reviewed? Reach out and let is know what you got!